Saturday, December 13, 2014

My Christmas Granny Square Stockings

This is another free crochet pattern (here) by Maggie Weldon.


I liked it so much I crocheted a second one for our front door.  



Simple granny squares.

The pattern called for three rounds to make a 4 inch square.

I crocheted the first round with a large J hook.

Then I forgot I used the large hook and crocheted the next two rounds with an H hook.

So my square measured 3.5 inches instead of 4 inches.

What's a gal to do!

I added a fourth round to make my squares 5 inches because I wanted a large stocking.


I loved the two shades of red…the last round is Bernat Handicrafter Holidays "Red Sparkle"yarn.


All 16 squares joined together and ready to sew into the stocking.


I reversed the colors for the second stocking.

It's hard to see but the third round is white yarn and the fourth round is Bernat Handicrafter Holiday "White Sparkle" yarn.


Quick and easy...only takes 16 granny squares.  

I added some fancy yarn on the top.
  


I love how my Granny Square Christmas Stockings "POP" on our black Front Door!

I added some white pine needles from our back yard as embellishment.

Click (here) for more details on my Ravelry project page.


Ha!

More crochet coming!

13 comments:

  1. So beautiful,so cute!!!
    Many greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute!
    I was wondering... I can't see how they fold and go together. If I look at your ravelry page will it show the directions? I signed up for Ravelry... years ago, when I first started blogging after I met you, but... I've not signed IN -- in a very long time, don't even know that I could navigate the site. ;)

    I'm going right now to check it out and see!
    Your stockings are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sheepishly...
    I see now after going back to find the link, I MISSED THAT FIRST SENTENCE ALL TOGETHER with the free patterned linked.
    I think my eyes must gravitate to the pictures first or something! That and I skim read... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a brilliant idea, I just love them. Well done my friend,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so sweet, Sandy! I like how you noodle things out to make it right, and the way you want it to be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, did you do your Christmas cookie blitz?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not this year unfortunately. Too much going on with the two houses. I decided not to push myself so no cookies, trees or decorations outside…the majority of Christmas boxes are in storage. And we have roofers coming tomorrow to start working on replacing the roof tiles, the siding and gutters. It's a ten day job so we can't have decorations in the way.

      Delete
  7. I love these! What a great alternative to a wreath. They look so pretty on your door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I have made hundreds of these and the heel is perfect except do 3 instead of 4 corners on one of your squares and still fold in half with one corner at the bottom two on top get it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I have made hundreds of these and the heel is perfect except do 3 instead of 4 corners on one of your squares and still fold in half with one corner at the bottom two on top get it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing these instructions!

    ReplyDelete